Developed by the Offord Centre for Child Studies at McMaster University, this instrument measures children's readiness to learn in five general domains:
- Physical health and well-being
- Social competence
- Emotional maturity
- Language and cognitive development
- Communication skills and general knowledge
This instrument on children of different communities and helps communities assess how well they are doing in supporting young children and their families.
The survey is completed by kindergarten/primary teachers on each child in the class.
The EDI Measures
Physical Health & Well-being
Children are healthy, independent, rested each day.
Language & Thinking Skills
Children are interested in reading and writing, can count and recognize numbers, shapes.
Children play and get along with others, share, show self-confidence.
Communication Skills & General Knowledge
Children can tell a story, communicate with adults and other children.
Children are able to concentrate on tasks, help others, show patience, are not often aggressive not angry.
EDI Data Library
- Rural Lambton Early Development Instrument and Vulnerability
- Rural Lambton Education
- Rural Lambton Family Structure
- Rural Lambton Language
- Rural Lambton Median Family Income
- Rural Lambton Multiple Challenges Index
- Rural Lambton Transiency
- Sarnia Early Development Instrument and Vulnerability
- Sarnia Education
- Sarnia Family Structure
- Sarnia Language
- Sarnia Median Family Income
- Sarnia Multiple Challenges Index
- Sarnia Transiency
- St Clair Early Development Instrument and Vulnerability
- St Clair Education
- St Clair Family Income
- St Clair Family Structure
- St Clair Language
- St Clair Multiple Challenges Index
- St Clair Transiency